History of archaeological dating

Archaeological tree-ring dating came of age at a time when North American archaeologists concerned themselves primarily with time-space systematics, yet had no absolute and independent dating techniques available to guide their analyses.The history of archaeological tree-ring dating from 1914 through the end of World War II is often reduced to discussions of the discovery of specimen HH-39 on June 22, 1929 and considerations of the National Geographic Society Beam Expeditions of 1923, 1928, and 1929.

history of archaeological dating-24

By 1931, four Southwestern archaeological research institutions had hired dendrochronologists to conduct archaeological tree-ring dating in support of their various research interests.

By 1936, dendrochronology was being applied in support archaeological research in the Mississippi Valley and Alaska.

By 1942 however, Southwestern archaeological tree-ring dating once again became the exclusive domain of the Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research at the University of Arizona, and by 1950 efforts to extend tree-ring dating to other parts of North America as well.

reports that Viniansky Castle’s main gate has been found.

This paper reviews a sample of recent contributions to tree-ring method, theory, and data, and makes some suggestions for future lines of research. Although carefully collected, accuracy cannot be guaranteed. Differing provisions from the publisher's actual policy or licence agreement may be applicable.

Digital access to this material is made possible by the University Libraries, University of Arizona.The development and integration of archaeological tree-ring dating is in fact much more complex than these simplistic histories indicate.The "bridging of the gap," as symbolized by the discovery of HH-39, represents merely the culmination of an intense 15-year long research effort that included at least seven "beam expeditions" and a great deal of laboratory and brilliant archaeological research.The newly discovered gate is thought to date to the thirteenth century, and is located in the oldest part of the small castle.But the second gate is located just 100 feet away, puzzling archaeologists.We can contrast this with the endeavours of the Italian Renaissance humanist historian, Flavio Biondo, who created a systematic and documented guide to the ruins and topography of ancient Rome in the early 15th century.

Tags: , ,